Skip navigation
1 2 Previous Next 11401 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 7:15 PM by Shane Scott RSS
r c Rank: White Belt 37 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2012 8:08 PM

How do i view graphs?

Hi. I'm a super newbee in zenoss. Whenever i click on a device and go to 'graphs', it always displays 'no graph data'.

It happens on all devices. How do i view them?thanks.

• Nathan Harris Rank: White Belt 62 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    1. Jan 9, 2012 5:12 AM (in response to r c)
    Re: How do i view graphs?

Hello there

I think you need to provide a little more info first

what version Zenoss are you running?

what are you monitoring - A windows box?

Do you get an error msg on the grapg page?

• dpetzel Rank: Brown Belt 1,141 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    3. Jan 14, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to r c)

For one of the problem devices could you:

1) Provide a screen shot?

2) Provide the output of an `ls $ZENHOME/perf/Devices/${DeviceName}` where ${DeviceName} is the name a device you are having issues with, preferably the same device as the screen shot

• me2 Rank: White Belt 56 posts since
    Nov 27, 2011
    5. Jan 25, 2012 8:52 PM (in response to r c)

I am a newb too but shall explain how I saw your "no graph" in my environment. For me there was somethign wrong with the snmp oid I was using to query the device, or the community string.

I would either run the snmkwalk, or snmpget with the string you are using from the console and see if you get a correct response.

This will then tell you on which half the problem lies, the snmp config specific to the box or device setup something inside zenoss.

For me, when I got the correct oid worked out the graph then displayed a horizontal and vertical axis showed up but  it took ohhh 20-30 minutes for the first data feed to trickle in.

Someone feel free to correct me where I am wrong. I am on the vmplayer image v3.2.1 and it's been a pleasant surprise for the last 90 days. I am monitoring 25 devices and by the end of this year will be over 200. I also found two specific zenpacks of great use Ryan Mattes. His new one will monitor windows servers all through snmp and his vm pack that monitors cpu utilization on multiple processors and memory.

Oct 17, 2010
    6. Jan 25, 2012 9:07 PM (in response to me2)

OK, so based on the screen shot, it appears SNMP access is working, however it wouldnt hurt to run the snmpwalk that me2 has called out. That said, I believe the problem is that your Device is still in the Discovered device class.

The discovered class has a VERY minimal device template applied. What I would suggest doing is using the UI, drag/drop this device into /Server/Linux. After doing that, using the gear menu in the lower left corner of the screen select model device. Because the device will now be in the Linux Class quite a few additional modeler plugins will run (you'll see more stuff under componenets), but just as importantly the Device monitoring template will be updated to use the one applied to /Server/Linux which should give more information. Remember that it will likely take 15-20 minutes after the move before graphs show data.

Give that a shot, and if you still dont have graphs fire another screenshot and ls (including any subdirectories) and we'll go from there

• jmp242 ZenossMaster 4,060 posts since
    Mar 7, 2007
    8. Jan 26, 2012 8:13 AM (in response to r c)

2002-01-01 11:32:35,200 ERROR zen.DaemonStats: rrdtool reported error /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Daemons/localhost/zenmodeler_timedOut.rrd: illegal attempt to update using time 1009855955 when last update time is 1338539503 (minimum one second step) /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Daemons/localhost/zenmodeler_timedOut.rrd

*DO* Mind the time - that looks like your problem to me... You're trying to update with a time BEFORE the previous update, and that fails.

--

James Pulver

ZCA Member

LEPP Computer Group

Cornell University

Oct 17, 2010
    10. Jan 26, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to r c)

You're going to have to get the time fixed for good, maybe looking at setting up NTP, but you are going to have nothing but heartache if your time keeps flip-flopping.

Once you get the time fixed, you're likely going to want to delete the RRDs files and let them get recreated unless you want to wait until Fri, 01 Jun 2012 08:31:43 GMT

If this is a new install without any data it might be just as easy to start a fresh install once you get the time situation squared away

Oct 17, 2010
    13. Jan 27, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to r c)

I can't say with absolute certainty, but generally RRDS are created automatically when they don't exist, but its possible not ALL RRDS that will be the case. My guess is that all would be re-created automatically, but because of this amount of uncertaintity is why I suggest it might be safer for a new install, I'll leave that decision up to you.

As far the June 01 2012 date, its the date in your error message:

illegal attempt to update using time 1327626987 when last update time is 1338539503 (minimum one second step)

If we convert the last update time (1338539503) to a human readable date (http://www.epochconverter.com/) we end up with a value of 'Fri, 01 Jun 2012 08:31:43 GMT' so at some point your machine had a date in the future and during that time window data was written to RRD files.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points