Skip navigation
2596 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 2:13 AM by Andrey Telepin RSS
Jan 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2012 7:36 PM

New ZenPack Directory (BETA) :)

Hi All,

I have created a new ZenPack Directory which you can access at http://wiki.zenoss.org/Category:ZenPacks

Please try adding your ZenPacks following the directions, and let me know how it works for you.

This new directory is pretty powerful, because it will integrate with our community ZenPack build system, so by listing your ZenPack releases in this directory, your ZenPacks will (soon) build automatically and be available for download.

More good stuff on the way soon

Best Regards,

Daniel

• dpetzel Rank: Brown Belt 1,141 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    1. Aug 16, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to Daniel Robbins)
    Re: New ZenPack Directory (BETA) :)

*very minor* issue, compatible with says optional, but if you leave it blank you get a field validation error indicating it can't be blank

Oct 17, 2010
    3. Aug 17, 2012 9:17 PM (in response to Daniel Robbins)

Daniel, is the expectation that Zenoss or the ZCA will be filling this in, or that ZenPack owners will need to?

Aside from that, my personal .02

• The download URL stuff seems redundant, if the purpose of the form is to "enable" the auto-build process, the eggs will show up on zenpacks.zenoss.com anyway.
    • Using a comma seperate list for download URL's is not newb friend, a new user won't know if the need the 2.6, 2.6, or 2.7 egg. Given the small number of release, does it make sense to have a download URL per major zenoss release, rather than comma seperate list? (Again I would vote we do away with the download links altogether and derive them on the zenpack site.
    • I kind of like the table approach of the exisitng JIVE Page, what I mean by that is I know what packs work on *my* version of Zenoss without having to click on each and every one. Is it possible that the main category page, display the results in a table something like this is what we had been discussing: https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/Community/TableTest

Just some random initial thoughts.

Thanks

Oct 17, 2010
    5. Aug 18, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to Daniel Robbins)

Thanks Daniel,

I understand that the form is open to anyone. The question is more along the lines of expectations. We obviously have a large number of zenpacks on the existing listing page. So is your expectation that each person will add their own, or are you hoping that someone will take on the duty of porting them over, or is someone at Zenoss Inc planning on doing this bulk move?

If the download URL is actually needed, can we at least break it out into seperate fields for the sake of making it clear to newer users. So rather than download url, we had 'V2x_Download_Url', and 'V3x_Download_Url' and 'V4x_Download_Url'. I'm just concerned that the existing single field will lead to confusion for new users. The forums are littered with posts involving people downloading a 2.5 egg rather than a 2.6 egg when attempting to install on 3.x, so if we can make that clearer, I think its a big win.

Oct 17, 2010
    6. Aug 18, 2012 10:32 AM (in response to Daniel Robbins)

I would like more ZenPacks to be added first

I went through and added all the "A's" From the current 3.2 section of the listing. Does that give you enough sample data to work with? I think if we can show a more organized view, people will really get onboard with the new listing

• Alan Milligan Rank: Green Belt 95 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    8. Aug 29, 2012 12:49 AM (in response to Daniel Robbins)

Hmmm,

First I had to create a login on the wiki.zenoss.org (I now have different Zenoss logins for this site, Jira, and the Wiki - my kingdom for an LDAP server).

Now I'm struggling to fill in the wiki forms (check out ZopeMonitor) because I'm getting spam filter blockages.  Tragically, the URL's in question are all on pypi.python.org!!!

• Andrey Telepin Rank: White Belt 70 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    9. Aug 29, 2012 2:13 AM (in response to Daniel Robbins)

I added my zenpack to the list. My question how another people to know about this, may be someone need this? First think which com in mind is short email about adding new ZenPack. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...