Skip navigation
2628 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 10:28 AM by dpetzel RSS
jonnytabpni Rank: White Belt 14 posts since
Jun 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2012 1:04 AM

Monitor IP Service without SNMP or SSH

Hi Everyone,

I have a simple question that I hope someone can help me with.

Is it possible to monitor an IP Service without using SNMP or SSH? For some servers, I don't really care about in dept details, I just want to know if a web server is responding to port 80 or a DNS server is listening on port 53. I'm trying to acomplish something similar to Pingdom's HTTP monitoring.

I don't need any modelling for these devices as I would be happy enough to enter the IP services to monitor manually.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

• jcurry ZenossMaster 1,021 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    1. Jun 29, 2012 2:56 AM (in response to jonnytabpni)
    Re: Monitor IP Service without SNMP or SSH

For the devices where you want simple port-sniffing, change the IpServiceMap modeler plugin to zenoss.portscan.IpServiceMap.  Best to do this at  a device class to automatically apply it to several devices.  By default the /Server class has zenoss.snmp.IpServiceMap allocated so iIwould probably change it there.

All the rest of the configuration of actual ports to monitor is unaffected; it is just the underlying collection mechanism that changes.

Cheers,

Jane

• alex0cy Rank: White Belt 58 posts since
    May 13, 2008
    2. Jun 29, 2012 4:19 AM (in response to jcurry)

If you don't need modelling then you can create command line template with check_http or check_dns plugin for http and DNS services respectively and bind it to device.

Also you can use generic check_tcp and check_udp plugins

• jcurry ZenossMaster 1,021 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    4. Jun 29, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to jonnytabpni)

No worries!

I would go to INFRASTRUCTURE and then select Server in the lefthand menu.  Then, there should be a DETAILS link at the top of the lefthand menu - click that.  In the new window, you should be able to adjust all sorts of setting for the device class of /Server.

Click Modeler Plugins and you will find several plugins are in the assigned window, including zenoss.snmp/IpServiceMap.  Click on that and move it to the unselected list.  Then in that unselected/available list, find zenoss.portscan.IpServiceMap and click to move it to the selected list.  Save your changes.

Whenever the zenstatus daemon runs (the daemon that does the port checking) it will now use portscan rather than SNMP.  By default, zenstatus runs every 1 minute.

The services to monitor will depend on what services were available at the last modeler cycle (which typically runs every 12 hours).  Whatever is et to be monitored and was detected at the modeler cycle, will then be monitored.

Try getting the Zenoss Admin Guide - it will give you a good start on these things - http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation .

Cheers,

Jane

• dpetzel Rank: Brown Belt 1,141 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    7. Jun 30, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to jonnytabpni)

As far as I am aware portscan.IpServiceMap will do an actual port scant, while snmp.IpServiceMap, uses the SNMP table (tcp=.1.3.6.1.2.1.6.13.1, udp=.1.3.6.1.2.1.7.5.1) on the remote device to determine ip services.

• dpetzel Rank: Brown Belt 1,141 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    9. Jun 30, 2012 10:28 AM (in response to jonnytabpni)

I'm not too sure what the actual means of monitoring is, but I'd have to assume that it does so by making a connection. The ZenTcpClient implies that its likely the code that handles that test, and it seems to do by making a connection.

I'm not sure of a way you could reliably monitor the tcp service without having the port opened.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points