Skip navigation
831 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 7:15 AM by Jelmer Hartman RSS
Jelmer Hartman Newbie 2 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2012 10:50 AM

Default setting for monitoring of new interfaces

We use Zenoss for the monitoring of several network devices. For some devices we only want to monitor a few specific interfaces like the uplinks. For the rest of the interfaces we'd like to get all the statistics and so on, but we don't want to have alarm bells ringing in the night when one goes down. At this point we set monitor to false, and that works fine for us. But when someone adds a new vlan, or changes an interface description,  after modeler run  the interface is set to monitored is true. Therefore we sometimes get false alarms for interfaces that should not be monitored in the first place.

Is there any way to set the default for new interfaces to not be monitored?

• jcurry ZenossMaster 1,021 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008

I don't know a way to set the initial default.  The initial modeler wants to find ALL the interfaces.  After that, you decide (with the monitoring flag) which interfaces will actually be monitored in the future.

I am assuming that once you have set an interface to Monitoring all False then that setting persists beyond subsequent modelling cycles? (It should do).

You could perhaps do something with an event alert or event command on the event that you get to alert the relevant person that there is a new interface and that some decision needs to be made whether to monitor or not.  You could also have a schedule for this alert/command to ensure that they are not woken up in the middle of the night.

Not sure - but I guess you get a specific event when an interface has been added or changed - different from the event you get when the interface is down.  Trigger your alert from this event..

Cheers,

Jane

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points