Skip navigation
2353 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 9, 2012 11:38 PM by Doug Syer RSS
jcurry ZenossMaster 1,021 posts since
Apr 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2012 11:12 AM

Not really getting rrd data for devices I cannot ping

4.1.70-1455 on VM appliance.

I have a number of devices that don't have ping access (firewall prohibits).  I can get SNMP access and I can get ssh access.  I find that both SNMP and Command-based templates are "rarely" producing data.  The rrd files get created and you get the odd value entered (checked with rrdtool dump <rrd data file> ).  Graphs show the occasional entry - might coincide with either zenoss restart or relevant daemon restart.  I can run the test button in a template and it runs perfectly.  Tried things like remodel, Push Changes, deleting the data file.

I have inspected both zencommand.log and zenperfsnmp.log and there don't seem to be any issues - got logging turned up to debug on zenperfsnmp and you could see the values being collected and the RRDUtil line in the log.  Since a complete zenoss restart, I now see lines like (note I have changed the IP address):

2012-04-12 04:05:28,363 DEBUG zen.collector.scheduler: Pausing task <actual IP address was here>

You see these lines for all devices that cannot be pinged.  Most of them are down but some are simply not ping'able.  I have the zPingMonitorIgnore flag set True.

I first noticed this with ZenPack data files but it is true for basic stuff like interface data. 

I have tested a similar scenario on a 3.1 rig and the data comes through fine for non-ping'able devices.

Anyone else seen this??

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Cheers,

Jane

Update:

When I do get data, it always seems to be pretty-well on the hour.  Just one or two values and then it goes back to NaNs again.  Doesn't always happen but, looking at various datfiles, the timestamps on nearly all of them are on-th-hour +/- a minute or so.

?????

Jane

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points