Skip navigation
2484 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 4:01 AM by jfr77 RSS
jfr77 Newbie 2 posts since
Jun 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2011 4:35 AM

/Server/SSH/Linux uptime command threshold

Hi

I have been using Zenoss on and off for a while now, but having just installed the latest version I am running into a roadblock. I have searched high and low and still not found an answer .... the problem:

I am monitoring a group of RHEL servers that have no SNMP access, but instead I am using SSH to get some details. Specifically I need to know when the server has an uptime in excess of 44 days.

I have tried to create such a threshold but find that the value being parsed is a much higher number, the origins of which are unclear.

- The devices return a valid uptime in the Infrastructure section

- uptime is collected using /usr/bin/uptime via SSH and the Data Point is called sysUptime

- I have created a MinMax Threshold called uptime, selected uptime_sysUpTime with a max value of 44

Once configured I get warning, such as:

message threshold of uptime exceeded: current value  170952000.00

The device itself shows an uptime value of

Uptime: 19d:18h:48m:20s

I cannot find a correlation between the values and I am stuck trying to figure out how to enter a maximum value that would equate to a 44 day uptime in the threshold.

Cany anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Jon

• jskeane Rank: Green Belt 67 posts since
    Sep 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 8, 2011 9:08 PM (in response to jfr77)
    Re: /Server/SSH/Linux uptime command threshold

Jon,

The Linux uptime command is returning the number of "jiffies" that the computer has been up. One jiffy equals 10 milliseconds, or one one-hundredth of a second. So an uptime of 19d:18h:48m:20s equals:

(((19 * 24 + 18) * 60 + 48) * 60 + 20) * 100 = 170930000

Look familiar?

You have a couple of options. You could set your threshold to 380160000, which is 44 days worth of jiffies. Or, and this is what I would do, you could change your ssh script to divide the number you get from uptime by 8640000 (the number of jiffies in a day) so that the uptime is reported to Zenoss in days instead of jiffies.

Regards,

jskeane

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points