Skip navigation
5272 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2011 1:58 AM by mohan123 RSS
mmacleod Newbie 5 posts since
Feb 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2008 11:21 AM

Configuring SNMP alerts

I could do with some guidance or pointers on the best way to configure alerts based on SNMP traps. Im new to Zenoss, and am trying things out. At the moment i am doing everything under the admin login.
I have setup Zenoss to receive traps from a HP procurve switch. This is working. I can see one of the traps (LINK_DOWN) and would like to set up email alerts everytime this trap is received.
I understand about creating an alert and a schedule, but can not see a way to tie the alert to the SNMP trap. Could someone please post a quick checklist of the steps needed to do this or point me to some information to help?
I have the manual in front of me, but cant see a way to this?
Any help would be gratefully received...

Many Thanks
  • twm1010 ZenossMaster 290 posts since
    Jul 2, 2007
    1. Feb 22, 2008 12:34 PM (in response to mmacleod)
    RE: Configuring SNMP alerts
    The alerting doesn't act on "traps", it would act on an event.

Everything has to end up as an event for Zenoss to do something with it, so, you need to map that trap, to an event class.

You also would want to make sure you have the MIB files for the device/operating system you're recieving the trap from.

Once you map it to a class, you can then set the default event priority for that type of event, and configure your alert accordingly.

Remember, everything in Zenoss cascades like file permissions. The keys are all in "classes".

Look at whats there already, you'll get the idea.

Tom
  • snarkout Rank: White Belt 85 posts since
    Dec 20, 2007
    6. Feb 27, 2008 1:58 PM (in response to mmacleod)
    RE: Configuring SNMP alerts
    I think you may be over-engineering this for just a switch - you should be able to setup a simple alerting rule that sends an email if zenoss sees an event >=, say, error on any device in /network/switch - the traps are abviously understood, and link_down, is (IIRC) an error level event. At the very least, I'd recommend starting this way and refining from there. I can't answer the rest of your questions.
  • mohan123 Newbie 2 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    7. Mar 29, 2011 1:58 AM (in response to mmacleod)
    Re: RE: Configuring SNMP alerts

hi plz send me the screen shot to bmohanece@gmail.com................

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...