Skip navigation
3836 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 8:57 AM by rusty RSS
rusty ZenossEmployee 35 posts since
Feb 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2011 11:06 AM

Looking for Feedback on Discussion Topics

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about ways to foster even more communication between community members, enterprise subscribers, and Zenossians here in the forums.

Along those lines I was thinking a slight modification to the discussion topics would help in this manner.

In my experience people post into the forums for the following reasons:

1. they are getting an error message and want to understand the cause/fix
  2. they are confused about how something works, or how to get a specific thing accomplished
  3. they are looking for help with custom code development

This is what I'm proposing, and I'm looking for feedback and suggestions:

1. the current topics would stay but the following would become read-only for archival purposes:

1. zenoss-users
    2. zenoss-enterprise
    3. zenoss-windows
    4. zenoss-zenpacks

2. the following new topics would be introduced:

1. "How Do I?" - This is the place for all those "How do I XXXX?" questions. You may get an error while attempting to accomplish the desired task, but the *primary* reason for the post is that your trying to accomplish something specific but unsure how to do so - and of course you've already checked the manuals...

2. "Error Messages" - this topic would cover discussions in which you've gotten a specific error or traceback while using the system.

3. "Geek Speak" - writing a modeler plugin? interfacing via the API? Writing a custom Zenpack this is the place for you.

My thought is that with meaningful subject lines like the following:

• "Win32_Service could not be reactivated in namespace //./root/CIMV2 because of error 0x8004106c
  • "how do I monitor processes on Linux servers"
  • etc.

...the discussions would become more focused and easier to track those of most interest to you.

What do you think?

Rusty Wilson
Director, Zenoss Customer Support
Zenoss, Inc. | 275 West St., Ste. 204 | Annapolis, MD 21401, USA
Office: +1 443-837-2596

• rklingaman Rank: White Belt 38 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    1. Feb 4, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to rusty)
    Re: Looking for Feedback on Discussion Topics

I like that idea one thing I like to do is visit the forums and have one place to read about what people are doing. I could read the How Do I? forum to get ideas on what to use Zenoss  for.

• chitambira Rank: Brown Belt 711 posts since
    Oct 15, 2008
    3. Feb 4, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to rusty)

This is a good/nice idea, but how would the 'geek speak' be differentiated from the other two? Would it be the discretion of the reporter to consider their query an advanced(geek speak) one or simple one (how do i) eg. a user who want to know how to modify his custom code that handles db, perfoms complex event management and adds new schemas etc.

• Vaibhav.Narula Rank: Green Belt 78 posts since
    Sep 24, 2010
    5. Feb 4, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to rusty)

These are great  Rusty  .

I would also suggest that there should be  some  interface also where Zenoss  users can  share there session and  get helps easily who ever is online in the community.

And on zenoss can a feature be added to directly open  a  forum ticket with all the logs attached .

Regards

Vaibhav Narula

Your input is important to improve upon our continuous efforts to service you better. Please e-mail my manager at anjli_jain@campuseai.org with any feedback.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent those of CampusEAI Consortium or the Open Student Television Network. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this e-mail, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this e-mail or attachments.

• jmp242 ZenossMaster 4,060 posts since
    Mar 7, 2007
    6. Feb 4, 2011 2:43 PM (in response to Vaibhav.Narula)

While this won't help people who use Linux as their desktop station, something like join.me might serve this need. They can show their desktop (with say, putty windows and firefox open) to up to 250 users at once, and all can chat or phone conference - and you don't have to give any remote control, but people could say click there etc. And it's free.

For the original question, I'm not sure I like the change suggestion.

1) I'm not sure that a "How do I *?" isn't going to turn into a "Custom coding help" very quickly. Where moderators on other forums move threads to correspond with categories like that it's a pain IMO, where users are expected to close and start new threads in the correct place almost never happens.

2) I prefer seeing all threads in one place and using my e-mail client or the forum software for filtering. See DSLreports for an example where they provide a radio button to select a category for a post, that would then go in the subject for easy search / filtering. This way I won't miss a thread I could help on because I'm not looking at that sub forum.

3) It somewhat serves to fragment the community - I already see what I think is places where a thread is correctly placed in Zenoss Windows and gets almost no responses, but the same question posted more naively in Zenoss Users gets 10 or more responses and an answer.

--

James Pulver

Information Technology Area Supervisor

LEPP Computer Group

Cornell University

• chitambira Rank: Brown Belt 711 posts since
    Oct 15, 2008
    7. Feb 7, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to jmp242)

You are very right, especially on your third point

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...