Ok, I too did a full reinstall, but I have the same problem still. Slightly different numbers though, out of 19 devices only 4 remained visable, after running
zencatalog run --createcatalog --forceindex
2010-08-05 07:53:19,322 INFO zen.Catalog: Reindexing your system. This may take some time.
only 1 device is visable now.
ummm I seem to have a discrepency, as zencatalog.log is nowhere to be found.
common ctlscript.sh extras licenses mysql python scripts zenconsole zenoss
hubpasswd snmpd.conf zenbackup.conf zendisc.conf zenjobs.conf zenmodeler.conf zenperfsnmp.conf zenrender.conf zentrap.conf zenxevent.conf zope.conf zope.conf.in.prev
my.cnf sudoers zencatalog.conf zeneventlog.conf zenmib.conf zenoss.conf.in zenping.conf zenstatus.conf zenwin.conf zeo.conf zope.conf.back
site.zcml zenactions.conf zencommand.conf zenhub.conf zenmigrate.conf zenpack.conf zenprocess.conf zensyslog.conf zenwinmodeler.conf zeo.zdsock zope.conf.in
# ls /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/log/
event.log Z2.log zencommand.log zenhub.log zenmigrate.log zenperfsnmp.log zenprocess.log zensyslog.log zenwin.log
README.txt zenactions.log zeneventlog.log zenjobs.log zenmodeler.log zenping.log zenstatus.log zentrap.log zeo.log
# mlocate zencatalog
Okay, sorry, my fault... Run zencatalog start --forceindex --createcatalog --logseverity 10 That'll create the log file and give debug output. Sounds like your indexing is being interrupted before it can complete.
I tried updating to 3.0.1 ontop of the broken install. To no surprise, it still doesn't list any devices.
However I did notice a note in the change log that there is a bug requiring 4GB of ram for zenoss to run... I didn't have that.
I am going to clone this current install, remove, and reinstall with more ram... I don't expect much, but eh, why not try.
It would be great if someone from Zenoss would take a look at these posts. There is obviously a bug in 3.0/3.0.1 or its installation that causes the Device classes and/or index thereof to be messed up.
These posts represent users who have Devices and/or Devices Classes that are missing in the UI. In most cases, the user shows "Device Classes (0)". These Devices and Device Classes still exist and are being monitored and alerted, but are missing in navigation and as such cannot be managed. According to zencatalog.log, these devices and classes are indexed and zencatalog "marks the database index complete".
Your attention would be appreciated. Given that there are 3 posts, I would assume this issue is actually affecting a larger number of users.
s_aldinger: No, the RAM thing isn't related to this. Sorry for the delay, I wasn't getting emails from the community site for some reason.
I scanned your log file, and you're right, there's nothing interesting there. It is successfully indexing everything. Okay, so the problem is further up the chain somewhere.
Let's try searching for devices, raw. Try:
$ zendmd >>> from Products.Zuul.interfaces import ICatalogTool >>> results = ICatalogTool(dmd.Devices).search('Products.ZenModel.Device.Device') >>> results.total
the_jack: Don't worry, we're on it. I've been looking at it for a while now, but it's difficult when one cannot reproduce it locally.
Welcome to the Zenoss dmd command shell!
'dmd' is bound to the DataRoot. 'zhelp()' to get a list of commands.
Use TAB-TAB to see a list of zendmd related commands.
Tab completion also works for objects -- hit tab after an object name and
(eg dmd. + tab-key).
>>> from Products.Zuul.interfaces import ICatalogTool
>>> results =
I've got this instance running on a VM. If it would expedite things, I can
snapshot it and throw it onto my FTP site so that you can grab a personal
copy to play with at you leisure.
Yeah, any ssh access or vm snapshots or anything would be great, as I'm totally unable to reproduce this here. Basically, things are /not/ being indexed, despite zencatalog successfully running through them (or they're being indexed and then something is, for whatever reason, unindexing them).
I too seem to be missing devices. This was a Zenoss 2.5 install; upgraded to 3.0 and then 3.01.
There is one device from before the upgrade that seems to be missing.
New devices that I try to add seem not to be appearing either - despite log manager saying that they were imported fine.
From your previous post,
This number corresponds to the number of devices I can see; and is about 4 or 5 lower than what I expect.
I went into the Zope DMD interface and navigated to,
Interestingly, I can see my missing switches here. I've had a wander round the hierarchy of a 'good' and a 'bad' device to try and see if there is some difference, but the only differences I can see are those that I would expect.
Sorry, I don't know much about the internals of Zenoss to know how your Device ZenModel maps through to a Zend Device object... It seems wherever this interface is; is likely the source of the problem.
Woops! As per the start of this thread I ran,
zencatalog start --forceindex --createcatalog --logseverity 10
... in the hope that this may find my missing switches. How wrong could be - all but one switch missing now!
Follow Us On Twitter »
||Latest from the Zenoss Blog »||Community||Products||Services||Customers||About Us|
Copyright © 2005-2011 Zenoss, Inc.