Hi, i just started with zenoss and wenever i add a new device is telling me Last collection 1969/12/31 16:00:00.000 and im not able to get the info from my devices can anyone help me i really dont know what to do
Please don't quote me on this.
What I've seen is that information on the status page is polled from snmp. So if your device is not enabled for snmp, or if it's put in the /Ping class, then zenoss will put a default date on that.
actually im able to graph this same device on cacti, but im trying to use zenoss because a lot of people told me that is better in a lot of ways, however im not able to graph with zenoss, because this date is showing up... do you know an actuall fix for this....
If you've been able to graph it with cacti, then I don't see any reason why you can't with Zenoss. Zenoss has the ability to graph devices out of the box by applying default templates. You just have to put it in the correct device class. i.e if it's a cisco router, you would want to put it in "/Device/Network/Router/Cisco"; or if it's a linux server, you would want to put it in "/Device/Server/Linux"... you get the idea. From what I saw in your picture, your device is put it "/Device" class, which does not have a template for graphing. (Assuming you already set up snmp"
ooooookkkkk that means that you dont know how to fix this uhg? this is nothing to do with the SNMP because im getting info from performance of the device but not interfaces and like i said before im able to graph with cacti but not with zenoss, and is simply not collecting data and i need a fix for the collection date...
yes, i have try that, and also gives me the device's information however this 1969 collection date is still showing therefore i assume that is related to the no graphing situation
On the 1969 thing.
When you model a device it stores the colelction time. If the device is not able to be modeled the collection time is 0 or NULL. Since Unix keeps it's time based off the number of seconds since epoch which translates to jan 1, 1970. Since UTC didn't really exist in 1970 you subract 8 hours from that to get 4pm Dec 31 1969.
Now, that's not a problem or a bug. Your problem is that you aren't modeling correctly. Look over your zproperties and make sure you've got your SNMP settings correct, then when you think you've got it all, remodel the device and post the output here if it still doesn't work.
The 1969 thing will fix itself at that point.