Skip navigation
41399 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2010 3:33 PM by Ryan Matte RSS
MoreDakka Rank: Green Belt 173 posts since
Mar 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2010 3:55 PM

Zenoss not auto-adding ip services?

Hey,

I've been a Zenoss user since 1.1.0 and this version is super wicked and very enjoyable to use in comparison.  Anyways, onto my question:

I'm trying to have Zenoss auto scan for IP Services when it adds a device so we can make sure that lots of stuff is being monitored on the server.  I've got the zenoss.snmp.IpServiceMap in the collector plugins and it shows that it's scanning it when you model the device but nothing gets added.  Under services I've got a very comon one enabled, SNMP.  It shows 10 devices under the list but when I model any 10 of those it doesn' actually add the SNMP service (I've also got monitor = true on the snmp service).

I can add them by hand and monitor them that way but I would prefer if the server would auto-add them to the devices when they are first added to the server or re-modeled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• phonegi Rank: Brown Belt 446 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    1. Feb 16, 2010 8:19 PM (in response to MoreDakka)
    Re: Zenoss not auto-adding ip services?

I think that the IP services are TCP services. When Zenoss checks the service, I believes it attempts to establish a TCP connection and if successful, considers the service "up". Since SNMP is a UDP protocol and therefore connectionless, there really isn't any way to verify that the service is running.

• jmp242 ZenossMaster 4,060 posts since
    Mar 7, 2007
    2. Feb 17, 2010 8:30 AM (in response to phonegi)

+1

Zenoss does not monitor UDP (IP) services - it may seem like it can in

the UI (there was a thread on this about a year and a half ago) but it

doesn't.

--

James Pulver

Information Technology Area Supervisor

LEPP Computer Group

Cornell University

phonegi wrote, On 2/16/2010 8:19 PM:

I think that the IP services are TCP services. When Zenoss checks the service, I believes it attempts to establish a TCP connection and if successful, considers the service "up". Since SNMP is a UDP protocol and therefore connectionless, there really isn't any way to verify that the service is running.

>

• phonegi Rank: Brown Belt 446 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    4. Feb 18, 2010 3:01 PM (in response to MoreDakka)

Well, yes and no. Zenoss can tell that the SNMP service is down on a monitored device, not because it is monitoring UDP 161, but because the zenperfsnmp daemon generates the event you use as an example. I believe if you look at the event you mentioned, you'll find that the agent is zenperfsnmp.

I say that Zenoss does not monitor UDP services based on the Zenoss code. Take a look at lines 16 and 17 of zenstatus.py. Also, if you look at lines 122-138 of IpService.py, you'll see that the monitored() method of a UDP service returns FALSE.

Now, if you're using the zenoss.snmp.IpServiceMap plugin, it is populating the IP Services window with ports based on data from SNMP tables. See lines 35 and 36 in the IpServiceMap.py file. You can manually request the data from the tables from an SSH command line on your Zenoss box:

TCP ports:

snmpwalk -v1 -c [community] [ip addr] 1.3.6.1.2.1.6.13.1 | grep listen

UDP ports:

snmpwalk -v1 -c [community] [ip addr] 1.3.6.1.2.1.7.5.1

If you don't get any response, then it is likely that there are no drivers on your servers to populate the SNMP tables. In order to retrieve meaningful data from our servers, we have had to install management software on all of them - then we were able to get lots of data from the machines.

• Ryan Matte ZenossMaster 653 posts since
    Mar 26, 2009
    5. Feb 18, 2010 3:33 PM (in response to MoreDakka)

This ticket is open for lack of nmap collector plugin functionality: http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/ticket/5238

A patch was written and tested, we're just waiting on the Zenoss devs to put the fix in to a production version.  Once that's done it'll vastly improve IP Services monitoring in Zenoss.  I tried the nmap plugin with the patch applied and it works flawlessly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points