Skip navigation
1 2 3 Previous Next 164568 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2010 6:26 PM by tlkhorses RSS Go to original post
  • dbuck Rank: Green Belt 119 posts since
    Jul 22, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 18, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to dbuck)
    nc.exe dos-box solved
    Hello thutchis,

additional to my previously post:

I install your batch now as Windows-Service (using srvany.exe and instsrv.exe) with setting "No interaction with Desktop" and start automatically with Windows-Start. This will supress the dos-box and run complete in backround and play sound every critical event arrive in Zenoss.

Hope, this helps someone

dbuck
    Mar 30, 2009
    16. Jun 8, 2009 5:37 PM (in response to dbuck)
    Easy solution: Email alerts with sound
    I think that there is a much easier solution here that is staring everyone in the face. I will give you the initial idea and I am sure many of you can run with it:

Setup a user called 'Sound user'. Give them a specific email address that you have control over. Then setup an alert, say called 'Sound Alert' for that user. In the alerts "where" statement (how you decide which events will be alerted on) that you define, just have it alert on Severity >= Critical (or define it however you want). This will send an email to your 'Sound user' when a critical event comes in.

Now, you can setup endless number of clients to receive the email. You can then have an endless number of alerts or plugins (think thunderbird or apple mail) on emails that come in. Thunderbird has the functionality to play sounds built in, in addition to 3rd party plugins. Apple mail has complex rules that you can define and assign a number of actions including sounds. I do not touch outlook, so you are on your own there. It is not uncommon for popular email clients to be able to have a sound be played when an incoming email arrives.

Crank up the volume fellow Zenossians!

-Nick Yeates-
    Client Services Engineer
    Zenoss Inc
  • thutchis Rank: White Belt 8 posts since
    Apr 2, 2009
    17. Sep 9, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to Nick Yeates)
    RE: Easy solution: Email alerts with sound
    Good suggestions DBuck. Like I said in the post, its an UGLY hack we came up with.

I fail to understand why Zenoss is so reluctant to implement such a useful feature that every other network management system I have seen has.
  • chitambira Rank: Brown Belt 711 posts since
    Oct 15, 2008
    18. Oct 15, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to thutchis)
    Re: RE: Easy solution: Email alerts with sound
    Why not consider JavaScript! I think that the best way to do it.
  • Shane Scott ZenossMaster 1,373 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    19. Oct 15, 2009 11:13 AM (in response to chitambira)

All:

A solution I have used is for varying level events to call a correlating eventcommand on the lcoal machine to play a represenative .wav file to the local PULSE sound dameon.Two Virtual channels have been setup for users of varying need. PULSE is setup to allow a specific subnet to connect to the daemon as sinks (play destinations) on one of the two channels. Only network users get sounds for network events and only server users get sounds for server events. This allows the network event sounds to play on all machines monitoring the network channel on the PULSE server and the same for the server channel.

• guyverix ZenossMaster 846 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    20. Oct 19, 2009 8:09 PM (in response to Shane Scott)

That sounds like a really interesting solution.  If something like that could be implemented in a portlet, it would be really useful.

Sadly, I suck eggs at python programming.

Mar 30, 2009
    21. Jan 11, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to tlkhorses)
    Re: gui audio alert revisited

Solution for this now exists. Not sure since when... maybe it always did and we didnt know.

See zenoss admin guide 7.1.12. Event Commands:

Common uses of event commands include:
    •    Extending alerting mechanisms. Currently, Zenoss supports only email and pagers as alerting mechanisms "out of the box" through normal alerting rules. You could use event commands to alert through instant messaging systems, or by playing sounds.

Basically you set event criteria in a where field that you want a specific command (command line) to run when an event matching that where, comes in.

Read the doc.... Event matching where comes in, command is run. You can be creative on how to play local or remote sound via the command line...

Oct 15, 2008
    22. Jan 19, 2010 7:12 AM (in response to Nick Yeates)

playing sound on any computer is surely anybody's cup of tea. if that was the case we could say solution was always there before Zenoss was founded

The issue is, most setups will have a dashboard display (some monitor, pc showing the appropriate web page dashboard) close to them. The actual zenoss server will be somewhere far away, or users wouldnt even know where....

What we want is for users who are sitting close to the display to hear a sound when a new event arrives. It would be good if this sound comes from the display pc (which doesnt do email etc etc) It will be a bonus if it can play dirrent sound depending on the group to which the event belongs.

Now playing sound on server and sounding it on the remote display has already been suggested before, but this needs special hardware/software and complex config which our common zenoss users may not be competent enough to setup.

I believe there are javascript coders who can make use of AJAX architecture to parse the dashboard and buzz everytime the figure of critical events increments.

Apr 2, 2009
    24. Jan 19, 2010 11:13 AM (in response to tlkhorses)

This issue keeps dragging on without any resolution.  Is Zenoss only completely usefull to the few with programming knowlege and skills to implement missing features on their own?  Everyone who has responded to this thread is in the same boat as us, we are network analysts/engineers, we know TCP/IP, routing, switching etc.  We are not Java/Python/AJAX developers.  Please add such a simple feature that other NMS systems that use a web page GUI implement, like Nagios, Big Brother etc.  Is it really that hard?

• jmp242 ZenossMaster 4,060 posts since
    Mar 7, 2007
    25. Jan 19, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to thutchis)

Is there a feature enhancement request / ticket in?

http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/wiki/HowToAddTicket

--

James Pulver

Information Technology Area Supervisor

LEPP Computer Group

Cornell University

thutchis wrote, On 1/19/2010 11:13 AM:

This issue keeps dragging on without any resolution.  Is Zenoss only completely usefull to the few with programming knowlege and skills to implement missing features on their own?  Everyone who has responded to this thread is in the same boat as us, we are network analysts/engineers, we know TCP/IP, routing, switching etc.  We are not Java/Python/AJAX developers.  Please add such a simple feature that other NMS systems that use a web page GUI implement, like Nagios, Big Brother etc.  Is it really that hard?

>

Oct 15, 2008
    26. Jan 19, 2010 1:18 PM (in response to thutchis)

I feel that I may have overstated this issue, and to make up, I am contributing a blog on howto setup audible alerts using event commands and winexe. I have tried to simplify the process. I will probably wikify it. Check my blog here

Apr 2, 2009
    27. Jan 19, 2010 1:23 PM (in response to chitambira)

No I don't think you have "over stated" the issue.  Sending sound events to a web browser displaying an HTML page is not hard to do its been around for years, if not decades.  Intergreting this with Zenoss is harder, but has to be possible.  Using events and win.exe is a silly, ugly, hack in my opinion for what should be a much more elegant solution, i.e. a sound alert portlet for instance.

Oct 15, 2008
    29. Jan 20, 2010 4:35 AM (in response to tlkhorses)

Happy that you guys agree with me. I have even added a note on the blog to say, we still need a smarter standard solution to this issue. I hope this will be addressed soon. I believe the featrure request is already there (may be expired) coz I remember Eric Wallace tried to work something out with Zapplet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...