We would like to announce a wave of changes that are aimed at substantially improving the open source ZenPack atmosphere. We need YOUR help to make it successful by embracing the new ways and using git / github!
If you take away one thing
Completely new process to sharing ZenPack code (See second bullet below)
- Automation, Automation, Automation
- We want to automate as much of the process around ZenPacks as we can
- This means less human error, immediate gratification, less work and a growing community!
- README's == jump page == documentation
- We want the doc and download page to be developed and held IN the ZenPack itself.
- Start putting markdown flavored ASCII documentation into your README, README.markdown, or README.txt's!
- Continuous Integration / QA
- We want to build all ZenPacks every night and know which install and which do not
- Quality and compatibility of community ZenPacks will increase
- Product Integration
zenpack --install http://github.com...
- Button in UI to download ZenPacks from the cloud (github.com)
- Button in UI to publish newly developed ZenPacks
Why should I learn Git / Github?
- Resume builder
- Git is the future of Open Source software code management
- Add it to your resume & use it at future jobs
- Encourages others to Edit
- It eases looking at your code and even changing it
- You will be able to see what others are developing in-progress
- More easily get help from others when you are stuck
- Github is a social platform; start working with others
- One Place
- Code, versions, .egg downloads, documentation
- Instant Gratification
- You will be able to reference your code and .egg as soon as you post to your personal github space
- Will excel the Zenoss ZenPack Community