We are happy to announce the Zenoss Core 4 Alpha release to the world! This is the biggest Core release in the history of Zenoss and we are really excited about all of the new features included in this major release.
As part of this announcement, we will be holding a bug hunt competition. More details on the bug hunt will be forthcoming over the next few days.
Since this is an alpha release, we do not officially support product upgrades from Zenoss 3.2 to the Zenoss Core 4 alpha release or from the alpha release to future product versions. However, we would appreciate validation and testing of upgrades as part of the bug hunt competition.
An excellent technical primer on the new features and architectural changes can be found here
Zenoss Core 4 Major Features
- New messaging framework (RabbitMQ) to allow for horizontal scaling of event processing
- Real time notification and command executiion via triggers
- Extended JSON API support
- AMQP support for enhanced product integration at the messaging layer
- RelStorage, which replaces ZEO and improves the performance of Zope object database queries
- Scalability improvements to zenperfsnmp
- UI refresh and Ext JS 4 upgrade
- Significant improvements to the event processing system, increasing to 100M+ events per day
- REST API for querying events
- Support for SNMPv3 traps
- Ability to monitor devices directly over IPv6
- Performance collecting daemons have moved to the collector framework for more consistent operation and higher reliability
- Enhanced event suppression with zenping
Any suggestions/feedback on the Core 4 release are welcome and can be submitted here
How to Get It
To install Core 4 Alpha, visit the Core 4 Alpha Download page on SourceForge.
You'll see a bunch of directories listed. These are our daily build directories. Generally, you want to pick the most recent one, which is listed on top.
Be sure to also grab the Installation Guide PDF that is below all the daily build directories.
For RPM install, grab the appropriate zenoss and zenoss-core-zenpacks RPMS for RHEL5/CentOS 5 (el5) or RHEL6/CentOS 6 (el6). Follow the PDF Installation Guide to set up Zenoss Core 4, and let us know what you think!