As enterprise infrastructure continues to evolve and move into more virtual and non-local environments, Zenoss wants to help our users expand their monitoring of their networks, devices and the services that they depend on. We've decided to help kickstart the creation of new ZenPacks for monitoring this evolving landscape with another Community ZenPack Contest, the "Zenoss in the Clouds ZenPack Contest" with not 1, but 5 great prizes!
What's this ZenPack Contest About?
We're looking for users to develop ZenPacks that monitor cloud infrastructure and service providers, the tools for deploying and the technologies used there. Here are a few suggested examples:
Infrastructure and Service Providers:
Deployment and Cloud-based Technologies:
We’re looking for as many useful submissions as possible, monitoring something not yet covered, improvements to existing ZenPacks or extending Zenoss to provide new functionality. It doesn’t have to be overly complex, but don’t let that stop you from going wild. There are a lot of ZenPacks that are being tested or have yet to been submitted to Zenoss for hosting, so this contest is your chance to show off your chops and possibly win a great prize. To help foster the discussion we've created a new Zenoss-Cloud forum.
These resources should help anyone looking to develop a ZenPack. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
- Community ZenPacks
- Zenoss Community ZenPacks source
- Zenoss Core ZenPacks source
- Amazon Web Services ZenPack
- ZenPack Development
- Creating Zenoss ZenPacks by Zenoss Master Jane Curry
- Zenoss-Cloud forum
- Zenoss-Zenpacks forum
To encourage slightly more ambitious entries, we're raising the stakes a bit with some monetary bounties.
- The Grand Prize is $2000 for the best ZenPacks
- There will be 4 runner-up prizes of $500, 3 will be selected by the judges, 1 will be chosen randomly.
- Winners will be selected by a panel of Zenoss judges from the Zenoss open source community.
- Contributed ZenPacks should be Zenoss 2.2-style .eggs. So that we would be able to potentially include the ZenPack in a future release of Zenoss, please consider filling out our contribution form. If you’ve previously filled it out, you do not need to do so again.
- To enter the contest send an email to email@example.com with the title “Cloud ZenPack Contest” with your name, the attached ZenPack and any documentation you would like to include.
- Submissions for the Zenoss Submit a ZenPack Contest are open until February at which time our judges will select a grand-prize winner, 3 runner-ups and and draw randomly from all entries for the final prize. Multiple entries are allowed and encouraged. You will get one entry for each ZenPack submitted.
- Prize winners are responsible for any tax implications of their prizes and may be asked to furnish a U.S. IRS W-9 for tax purposes.