This month the Zenoss Engineering team was busy producing Zenoss 2.3.3 is Now Available, a maintenance release. Next on their plate is the beta of our next major release (code named Blue Crab) due to come out in March. Blue Crab will include a new wizard-based installer to speed up Zenoss setup and new capabilities for remote monitoring of Linux and Unix servers. Your feedback can help guide future additions and improvements to the user interface. Please share your opinions by taking the Zenoss Usability Survey.
Tip of the Month: SNMP Software Inventory for Debian and Ubuntu
In a recent forum post, user ‘rmk’ came up with a Perl script to expose the software inventory through the SNMP hrSWInstalled OID for Debian and Ubuntu machines. User ‘zarxcky’ wrote up detailed instructions for deploying the solution and getting it to work with Ubuntu. Many thanks to these two for providing a very useful guide for the Zenoss community. Tip of the Month: SNMP Software Inventory for Debian and Ubuntu machines.
Help Us Help You
User feedback is critical in helping us develop Zenoss Core to meet your needs, so please tell us what you want to monitor with Zenoss. We appreciate your time so we’ll enter you in a monthly drawing to win a cool open source Chumby like last month’s winner, Craig Reise.
Zenoss Community Day and SCaLE 7X
February 20th we conducted our first Zenoss Community Day at SCALE 7x and it was a big success by all accounts. Zenoss Client Services Engineer, Nathaniel McCallum and Zenoss Community Manager, Matt Ray, taught a full day class on how to deploy and monitor your network with Zenoss Core. We had a number of walk-ins and the class was standing room only for most of the day. On February 21st and 22nd during the Southern California Linux Expo we demo’d Zenoss products for hundreds of attendees. Congratulations to Ron Eickler who won our drawing for the Dell Mini. Thank you to all of you who stopped by, we really enjoyed getting to know so many current and future Zenoss users.
In the News
- NetworkWorld: Five Fantastic Open Source Tools for Windows Admins
- MobiusBlue Tech Blog: Open Source IT Management with Zenoss
- IT Business Edge: Going with a Small Company Has Large Rewards
- The VAR Guy: Preview: Three Trends At Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE)
- Lotta Links Podcast: Episode #105
- Zenoss Weekly Demo: Webinar, March 4th
- Florida Linux Show: Jacksonville, FL; March 9th
- Zenoss Weekly Demo: Webinar, March 11th
- Zenoss Administrator Training: Annapolis, MD; March 17th-18th
- UKUUG: London, UK; March 24th-26th
- LinuxFest NW: Bellingham, WA; April 25th